The Nursery Chronicles: Day One & Two - Woodwork & Painting


OK! So here's the goal! We used Valspar's "MAN CAVE" for the bottom wood color. Matches really well to this picture. (and the name makes it hard to pass up!) And we used Olympic's "Skyhigh" blue- for the top....again, matches perfectly to this picture! (And yes, I want this bedding! but it's pricey! we'll see.....)




My wonderful, dedicated, husband, and our baby's father... measuring out the walls for the wood molding we're putting in today!

A few weeks ago, I just got a "head start" and taped off the baseboards and such. Today we decided to paint the baseboards the same color as the molding, so I have to re-tape off the edges. The left side tape is the *NEW* placement for the tape. The left side is what I had to take off. 
Thank goodness this room is small!!!

There is probably a better way to paint baseboards...we're still unsure if we're replacing all our carpet, or just the stuff in the hallway...so I'm being careful just in case. 
This should be interesting.

We added tiny molding for the 3/4 inch 90 degree angle on top, so the panels we're adding that are just under an inch thick, won't stick out too much against the baseboards. 

We've owned this compressor/nail gun set from Lowes for about a year now, we loveeee it! (I think it was $99)...which is worth it if you plan on using it for more than one day. Rentals are expensive, and most of the time they're complicated to use.

Here's how the baseboards look. Remember, we are about to paint them, so the joints will look much better.

Here's what it looks like so far!
 (with orange wood putty in the corner,  of course)


More or less, this is what it will look like, just sanded, painted, and nailed in place.






Me & Tate (19 weeks pregnant)




The Jack & Jill bathroom, don't mind the laundry hamper :)










The lighting stinks, but it's a grey :)


We feel the blue really makes this a nursery :)














Here's how the money broke down for this project:

Woodwork COST: 

One 10 foot wood panel: 1"X 5 1/2" X 10'= $7.00 (We used 11)
+
One 8 foot wood panel: 1" X 5 1/2" X 8' = $5.00 (We used 2)
+
One 8 foot baseboard panel addition = $2.99 (we used 4)
+
Nail gun (Already had it.)
Nails (Already had it.)
Wood filler (Already had it.) 
Sander & Sand Paper (Already had it.)

=Wood total: $99.00
_____________________________________
Paint Cost:

Two gallons of paint (One grey Eggshell finish, One blue Eggshell finish) = Roughly $60.00
+
Two tray liners = $2.00
+
One Roller-edger = $3.00
+
Two extra wool rollers (We already had it.)
Blue Painter's Tape (We already had it.)
Plastic drape for carpet cover (We already had it.)

= Paint total: $65.00
So....
_____________________________________

Total for entire Project: 
$180 including tax! :)
Honestly, throughout this entire project, we kept saying things like "I can't believe how professional this is turing out....This is so easy!... I can't believe it was under $200 to do..."

 AH! We're so excited over here!


Be Blessed! 
The DIY Wifey,
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
And I can't believe how professional it looks, either. :)
Does the blue mean you're having a boy? :)

Mrs. Brittany said...

YES! A BOY IT IS!!! We're naming him Tate! (Tatum!)!!!! We're sooo thrilled!

007 said...

I love it! Especially how the blue turned out.... Tate is blessed! As is Mason :)

Mindy said...

Wow! You two are doing an amazing job. It does look professional! I think the best part of the project, though, is that you work together so well. What a joy. The other best part, is WHY you are preparing the room. By the way, your baby bubble is looking adorable.

Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog. You brought tears to my eyes and new purpose to my heart. Thank you!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Wow that looks awesome! Thank you for sharing the story of your friend. I could have so much more room in my house if I did that. Although my husband might miss his guns, fishing pools, boat and all the other things that clutter up the garage and side of the house but maybe I can start something going here. I do greatly appreciate it!! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Emily Weinzapfel said...

How sweet!! Everything looks GREAT! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, and congrats on the little bundle! I think it'll definitely be an advantage for me to follow a crafty blog like yours!

Have a great day!

Donna said...

Brittany, This looks fabulous! I love seeing handy girls and their handy husbands at work. :o)

Congratulations on joining the SAHM club! I'm glad you enjoyed my post on saving on school books.

I'm on teenager number five and after 23 years of homeschooling, you can imagine that I can't afford to waste a penny on a book. Add a few college books and we'd be buried!

Nice to meet you!
Donna @ Comin' Home

carissa said...

ahhhh.... absolutely stunning!!!! the chair is a perfect vintage touch to balance the modern. good work!

Stephanie said...

WOW - This looks SO GREAT. I had no idea that something so beautiful could be done for that amount of money. I've always wanted something like that on our walls - well something EXACTLY like that, but figured it'd just cost TOO TOO much. I'm so glad you shared this - you're giving me ideas! :)

I will definitely be adding this to a pinterest board! ;)

Have a great day!

momstheword said...

Wow, I LOVE this! How fun to know that you guys did this on your own and it looks awesome!

Congrats on your precious lttle one and thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

Kelli @ The Turquoise Piano said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the tut.

Amy @MoMomma said...

Love it! I found this on pinterest searching for someone who had painted the bottom board and batten, great job!

Anonymous said...

And within the course of such analysis, it emerges that all
dollar spent within the pursuit associated with an online
degree is prone to increase one's lifetime earnings many times fold.
An eye catching attractive website is essential within the technologically advanced and highly competitive market of current
age, for the success of business. I have experienced my share of scams,
and have in reality done a fantastic job avoiding being
taken for any sucker and I'm here to tell you, Ameriplan is just not a scam.


Look into my blog post wcmhblogs.com